Job Title : Protection Associate (GBV), UNOPS - LICA-6 (EVN/16/2021)Location : PeshawarCompany : United Nations PakistanSalary : Open Date : 2021-09-17Close Date : 2022-01-17
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships:
The GBV Associate supports the operations’ efforts to fulfil UNHCR’s mandate and associated obligations on GBV prevention, risk mitigation and response based on policy and guidance.
The GBV Associate works under direct supervision of a more senior GBV/Protection colleague who defines overall work objectives and provides regular advice and guidance. S/he will focus on strengthening GBV case management supervision as well as safe and ethical data collection and further analysis of GBV trends. The incumbent will also ensure quality prevention and risk mitigation interventions.
S/he collaborates closely with the UNHCR management and the Protection team in the country and strengthens working relations with other agencies involved in GBV prevention, risk mitigation and response. S/he promotes alignment with GBV minimum standards and respect of GBV Guiding Principles.
S/he also ensures that persons of concern, in particular women and girls, are involved with the Office in making decisions that affect them, whether in accessing their rights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems. To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, local authorities and protection and assistance partners.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Associate Protection Officer or Associate GBV Officer and/or the Protection Officer or GBV Officer in the preparations and holdings of the coordination meetings of the GBV sub-working group (and/or Protection Working Group) or support follow-up required within GBV sub-clusters chaired by other organizations.
- Support the development of coordination tools such as referral pathways;
- Contribute to safety audits and other relevant assessments.
- Contribute to analysis of GBV trends and gaps, including by assisting with drafting briefing notes and analytical reports.
- Contribute to support other sectors/units on GBV risk mitigation under overall guidance of Associate Protection Officer or Associate GBV Officer / Protection Officer or GBV Officer. Contribute to the design of GBV prevention, risk mitigation and response interventions.
- Support in providing technical guidance to partners and government counterparts on GBV minimum standards under overall direction of the supervisor.
- Contribute to GBV partners’ monitoring by undertaking regular field visits and drafting monitoring reports; Provide inputs to donor reports;
- Provide GBV case management services for survivors at high risk and/or other complex cases (if relevant in operation) and follow-up with other units/partners as relevant;
- Ensure technical supervision of UNHCR staff providing GBV case management (including coaching and implementation of staff care strategies);
- Support GBV capacity building initiatives, including on GBV safe disclosure and referrals.
- Ensure the wishes of survivors are prioritized as per the survivor-centred approach.
- Enforce compliance with, and integrity of, all protection standard operating procedures for GBV as well as the GBV minimum standards and Guiding Principles.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience:
Years of Experience / Degree Level
- Completion of High School Diploma with relevant experience in Humanitarian and related fields.
- 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Certificates and/or Licenses
Human rights, Social Anthropology, Social work, Law, International Development, Social Sciences, or other relevant field.
HCR Protection Learning Prg;
HCR Gender Equality Lrng prg.
HCR Gender-Based Violence
Relevant Job Experience
3 years of previous work experience relevant to the function of GBV in a local context and having experience in the field of GBV prevention, mitigation and response, broader protection or social work involving empowerment of women and girls, gender, child protection, mental health, counselling and working with survivors, humanitarian and development issues. Applied experience in survivor-centred approach, GBV guiding and Case management principles related to GBV programs. Demonstrated knowledge in gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls and apply, promote and integrate gender analysis into humanitarian programming. Knowledge of GBV minimum standards, Guiding Principles and GBV case management standards.
Demonstrated knowledge of engagement with GBV Interagency humanitarian architecture. Knowledge and experience of participatory approaches to engaging with and mobilizing communities. Good understanding of displacement and protection issues including, child protection, education and the application of the Age, Gender and Diversity Policy.
Essential - very good knowledge of English and local languages (spoken and written) Pashto, Balochi and Urdu. Knowledge of Dari or any locally used language by the refugees will be an asset.
PR-Gender Based Violence (GBV) prevention programming
PR-Gender Based Violence (GBV) risk mitigation
PR-Gender Based Violence (GBV) response programming
PR-Gender Based Violence (GBV) Capacity development and training
PR-Refugee Women issues
PR-Interviewing and counselling refugees/asylum seekers and in individual case management
PR-Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD)
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Teamwork & Collaboration
Commitment to Continuous Learning
Client & Result Orientation
Planning and Organizing